Personal Injury

Social Security Disability: Rumor vs. Reality

Q.: If I’m injured at work, can’t I collect disability and Workers’ Compensation benefits and make more money than I would if I stayed at work?

A.: No.  If you are drawing both Social Security Disability and Workers’ Compensation, you should receive no more than 80 percent of what you earned while working.  The Social Security Administration reduces the amount of the disability check of anyone who is also getting Workers’ Compensation benefits.  Also, if you settle your Workers’ Compensation claim for a lump sum, you must tell both Medicare and Social Security, so that the federal government will not be paying for treatment or lost wages that should be funded by another system.

Read more... [Social Security Disability: Rumor vs. Reality]

Prepare to "Face the Music" when Downloading from Internet

Q.:  Is it illegal to download music from the Internet?

A.: Generally, yes.  U.S. Copyright Act law allows only the copyright owner to distribute its sound recordings.  The copyright owner is usually the company that produced the sound recording, often a record company.

In some situations, it may be legal to download songs from the Internet, such as when you have permission from the owner.  Web sites such as iTunes, Napster, and Buymusic are now licensed by record labels to distribute music files online, so it is not illegal to download from these Web sites.  Of course, it costs about $1.00 for each song you download.

Read more... [Prepare to "Face the Music" when Downloading from Internet]

Auto Accidents

Q.: What must I do if I am involved in an auto accident as a driver?

A.: Any time a motor vehicle you are operating is involved in a collision on a public road in Ohio, the laws require you to do the following:

Read more... [Auto Accidents]

Auto Accidents: Do You Know Your Legal Responsibilities?

Q.: What do Ohio's motor vehicle laws require of me if I am involved in an auto accident?

A.: Ohio law requires that if you are in any automobile accident, you must STOP immediately.

You must also GIVE your name, address, and vehicle registration number to any injured person and/or the owner(s) and/or operator(s) of the other motor vehicle(s) involved in the accident. This information must also be given to the police when they respond. If you are driving another person's automobile, you must also provide the name and address of the owner(s). You should exchange with the other driver the insurance information from your insurance card, including the insurance company name and your policy number. You also should receive the same information from the other driver.

Read more... [Auto Accidents: Do You Know Your Legal Responsibilities?]

What You Should Know about Loaning Your Car to Others

Q.:  Can I lose my car if someone borrows it and violates the traffic laws?

A.: It's true that you can lose your motor vehicle if you loan it to someone who commits certain serious traffic offenses.  But the law offers some protections, as long as you are careful about lending your vehicle.

Read more... [What You Should Know about Loaning Your Car to Others]

©2014 Brandenburg & Associates Co., LPA
Law Firm Website by The Modern Firm